Dental injuries are commonplace. Teeth can easily be chipped, broken, or knocked loose during contact sports. Tooth fractures are caused by biting hard objects or cavities. At Corbin Dental, Dr. Richard Corbin and his team can evaluate and treat dental injuries. Our New York dental team is committed to helping patients heal their teeth and gums after accidents. Please contact our Queens dental offices if you ever have a dental emergency. We will provide you with a dental restoration or assuage your tooth pain depending on your specific needs.
What to Do In a Dental Emergency
Here are some tips for common dental emergencies:
- For a knocked-out permanent or adult tooth, you may try placing the tooth back in the socket without touching the root. If that is not possible, place the tooth in a cup of milk or saliva to transport to our office.
- For a cracked tooth, rinse the mouth with warm water to clean the area. You can place cold compresses on the face to keep swelling down.
- If you bite your tongue or lip, clean the area gently with water and apply a cold compress.
- If you have a toothache, rinse your mouth with warm water. Use dental floss to gently remove any food caught between the teeth. Do not put aspirin on the aching tooth or gum tissues.
How to Prevent Dental Injuries
When you have a dental emergency, it’s important to visit Dr. Corbin or an emergency room as soon as possible.
Here are some simple steps you can take to avoid accidents and injuries to your teeth:
- Wear a custom sports mouthguard if you play contact sports.
- Avoid chewing on hard foods that can crack teeth such as ice, popcorn kernels, and hard candy.
- Never use your teeth to cut or open things.
Schedule an Appointment
In the event of a dental emergency, call our dentist office in Bayside at (718) 395-3458, or our dentist office in Oyster Bay at (516) 922-5888. If you have any questions about our dental treatments, feel free to ask our friendly dental team. We will be happy to help you.