Corbin Dental places all types of dental crowns for patients in both of our dentist office locations serving the New York metro area and Oyster Bay on Long Island. We can help you restore your dental health or enhance the appearance of a discolored or misshapen tooth with a beautiful, custom dental crown.
What Is A Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a customized cover that is placed over the tooth to restore its strength and improve its appearance. The latest dental materials practically eliminate the need for the use of metal in dental crowns which can discolor the teeth and cause discomfort. Our use of modern, high-quality materials and modern dental technology ensures that your smile will have the look and feel of your natural teeth.
What Can Dental Crowns Be Used To Address?
Dental crowns can serve both cosmetic and restorative purposes in the long term maintenance of a healthy, beautiful smile. A dental crown may be recommended:
- To protect a weak tooth (for example, from tooth decay or a filling) from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has significant wear
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover misshaped or severely discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
- To make a cosmetic modification
Benefits Of Dental Crowns
- A crown that fits correctly over your tooth can last for many years, even for decades.
- A dental crown covers the tooth over which it is placed (think of it as a cap for your tooth), so it protects the tooth against tooth decay.
- A crown can cover up a stained or unusually shaped tooth, adding to your self-confidence and giving you a nicer smile.
- A crown can keep a cracked tooth together and prevent or delay having to have a tooth extracted by your dentist.
Do Dental Crowns Require Special After Care?
Dental crowns are highly durable as well as stain and decay resistant. To make sure that your dental crown lasts, patient’s should continue practicing good at home oral hygiene and visiting us at least twice a year. Your dentist can make personalized recommendations for improving your oral health habits to support your overall, lasting dental wellness.
The Dental Crown Process at Corbin Dental
A dental crown is typically placed over two visits to your local Corbin Dental office. We will prepare and numb the area with a local anesthetic for your comfort during the process.
The first step is to address any damage or decay, removing tooth structure as needed to provide a stable result. If the crown is being placed for cosmetic reasons your dentist will remove a minimal amount of tooth structure for secure placement of the final restoration. Dental impressions are taken during this visit and we will work with you to create a crown that is color matched to your smile. A temporary crown is often placed to protect the tooth and provide normal function and aesthetics.
Within a week or two, your final restoration will be ready for placement. We will remove the temporary crown, clean the area and place the final restoration on the tooth. Your Corbin dentist will make any necessary adjustments for a comfortable bite and secure fit on the tooth before permanently attaching the crown.
A dental crown is cared for like a natural tooth. Daily brushing and flossing along with your natural teeth will keep your crown healthy and stable. We will demonstrate how to effectively floss around the crown to keep the area clean without disturbing the restoration.