Do you have poor oral health because you have been avoiding the dentist for years?
Dental anxiety or fear of the dentist is one of the most common reasons people avoid routine dental care. Dental anxiety is a real condition affecting many people, and can often be the result of a previous bad experience in the dentist chair. At Corbin Dental, we want to help patients feel calm, confident and in control while they receive dental treatments.
Dental sedation has opened the doors for many patients who suffer from dental anxiety and a fear of the dentist. Corbin Dental offers sedation dentistry for anxious patients. We help everyone receive the dental care they need or desire. With sedation dentistry, you will feel relaxed and stress-free during your dental visit.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Sedation?
Dental sedation can successfully help patients with a range of dental fears and concerns. Your dental care team at Corbin Dental will make you feel comfortable again in the dentist chair. Your Corbin dentist will discuss your personal concerns and your medical history when recommending the use of sedation to ensure a safe and effective solution. The following list will help you decide if dental sedation is right for you. Consider getting dental sedation if you have the following issues.
- Previous traumatic dental experiences
- Difficulty getting numb with a local anesthetic
- A bad gag reflex
- Very sensitive teeth
- Limited time to complete your dental care
- A medical condition that makes it hard to visit the dentist
- Complex dental problems
- A fear of needles and shots
- An aversion to the noises, smells, and tastes associated with dental care
Dental Sedation: What Are the Options?
Dental sedation is commonly used as conscious sedation. This means that you are alert and responsive during treatment while simultaneously feeling relaxed and stress-free. There are various methods and levels of sedation and we will recommend the most suitable option for your needs. Our dentists are highly trained in the administration of sedation and ensure your safety during treatment.
- Oral Conscious Sedation: your dentist can prescribe an oral sedative, often taken at home before your appointment. This type of sedation will require you to arrange for transportation and an escort to and from your appointment.
- Nitrous Oxide: also called “laughing gas”, nitrous oxide is an odorless gas administered using a tiny cannula placed beneath the nose. One of the benefits of Nitrous Oxide is its ability to take effect and wear off almost immediately.
We never judge patients for their dental anxiety and want to work with you to help you feel calm and relaxed. Our caring and experienced staff can talk with you during a cleaning, let you see any dental instrument that will be used and explain what is going to happen during your visit before getting started. Be sure to communicate your issues with our staff so we can adjust accordingly.
If you suffer from dental anxiety and fear, schedule a visit to one of our three locations serving Bayside, Jackson Heights and Oyster Bay, NY. Our dental team will discuss your concerns and work with you to ensure that you feel comfortable and relaxed while receiving the dental care you need or desire.