Dental Implants vs Dentures: What Teeth Replacement Option is Right for You?
Missing teeth can cause issues with your oral health and your self-esteem. It can happen for various reasons and most people will face tooth loss at some point in their life. Every day, many people are seeking treatment to replace their lost teeth. Choosing the proper treatment may seem overwhelming if you are missing most or all of your teeth. Understanding your options and learning which one will benefit your health and overall quality of life will help you make a sound decision.
Choosing dental implants as opposed to traditional dentures is a popular choice thanks to advances in dental technology. They will function and feel more natural compared to traditional dentures. Corbin Dental offers full-service dental implants at their Oyster Bay and Bayside, NY dentist offices. If you are missing all of your upper or lower teeth, Dr. Richard Corbin and Dr. Bruce Corbin can replace them with a denture that is secured to multiple implants.
DENTAL IMPLANTS VS DENTURES
Weighing the pros and cons of both traditional dentures and denture implants will help determine which option will work for you and your lifestyle. Both options operate differently and are secured in a different manner.
A traditional denture is essentially false teeth that are fused to a base made of acrylic and/or metal. A denture base is designed to rest on gums and is held in place via suction and/or adhesive. A denture implant is similar to a traditional denture, except we will secure it with dental implants in Bayside. An implant is a small metal post that surgically placed in the jaw bone. The pros and cons of choosing either restoration include:
- Replaces the missing tooth root preventing bone loss
- Will look and function like natural teeth
- Hold the shape of your face
- Can last a lifetime
- Provides normal chewing function
- Less diet restrictions
- No worrying about restoration falling out
- Easier to care for
- Has a success rate of over 95%
- Will take months to complete the process
- Very costly
- Requires surgery
- Not everyone will qualify for them
- Fairly inexpensive
- Can have your teeth replaced in 3-4 weeks
- Will hold the shape of your face
- Will not prevent bone loss
- May shift around in the mouth causing slurred speech
- Ill-fitting dentures may fall out
- Will require regular maintenance and even replacement
- Very bulky and difficult to get used to
- Must avoid eating certain foods
- Involves daily, additional care
- May require adhesive to stay in place
REQUEST A DENTAL EXAM TODAY
To learn more about each option, schedule a consultation today with Dr. Richard Corbin or Dr. Bruce Corbin at one of their convenient locations in Oyster Bay or Bayside, NY. Dental implants are the number one recommended teeth replacement option by our dentists.
We will review the pros and cons of both denture implants and traditional dentures as well as evaluate your oral and overall health. A personalized treatment plan will be created for you based on your personal goals, budget, and oral health.