Our dentist in Jackson Heights, NY offers TMJ treatment for patients suffering TMJ disorders. As experienced general and restorative dentists, they will analyze your entire occlusal system to accurately diagnose your condition and offer proper treatment. If you suffer from common TMJ symptoms such as headaches, jaw pain or teeth grinding, our Jackson Heights, NY dentist office is accepting new patients to help them find relief.
What is TMJ Disorder?
The Temporomandibular Joint, commonly referred to as TMJ, is the joints on both sides of the head that connect the jaw to the skull. Along with the jaw muscles, the joints are responsible for the opening and closing of the mouth. TMJ disorders refer to a group of conditions that can cause pain in and around these joints. There is no single cause for TMJ disorders. It is usually brought on by single factor or a combination of factors. We often see patients where the jaw is misaligned resulting in bite problems. Hormonal imbalances, arthritis and trauma directly to the temporomandibular joint can also lead to a TMJ dysfunction. Stress is a main contributor to this painful condition as well.
What are the Symptoms of TMJ?
If you suffer from frequent headaches, facial pain, worn teeth or pain while chewing, you may have a TMJ disorder. With these being the main symptoms, the signs can actually differ from person to person. Some symptoms are very similar to those of other medical problems. This is why it is important to know the more common signs. It may be time to schedule a TMJ evaluation if you experience any combination of the following:
- Popping or clicking when the jaw moves
- Locked jaw or difficulty opening the mouth
- Pain when chewing, eating or opening widen in the jaw area
- Frequent headaches or migraines
- Soreness or pain in the neck area
- Soreness, tiredness or general pain in the face or jaw
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
TMJ Treatment Options in Jackson Heights, NY
- Gentle jaw stretching and relaxation methods will be recommended for minor TMJ. The dental team at our Jackson Heights, NY dentist office will work with you and teach these exercises that will help reduce tension in the jaw.
- Mouth guards or splint therapy are often used in the early treatment of TMJ. A custom mouthguard (night guard) can be worn while sleeping to reposition the jaw. Both of these solutions can help hold the teeth in their natural position so they make proper contact. A comfortable and stable bite can drastically relieve TMJ symptoms.
- Restorative dental treatments may be necessary if teeth are damaged or worn down. The dentists at Corbin Dental in Jackson Heights, NY offer tooth bonding, dental crowns, and dental veneers to restore occlusal equilibration. This will allow the teeth the make proper contact without creating stress on the temporomandibular Joint.
- If crooked or misaligned teeth are the cause of your bite problem, your dentist may recommend orthodontics to straighten teeth and restore balance to the bite. We offer Invisalign invisible braces for straightening teeth and eliminating TMJ symptoms.